Monday, February 18, 2008

Second Life

I plan on starting my Second Life adventure soon and I really don't know what to expect. Mainly, I have no idea idea whether or not its going to be fun. Most of the online games I have played involve shooting guns and/or slaying monsters. I've never played an online game that did not have a clearly defined objective.

Is Second Life even a game? It certainly looks like one. You control a 3D avatar in a virtual enviroment, similar to many games I've played. Or is Second Life just an extremely embellished social tool? Maybe its both.

A big issue I have with Second Life is that spending real money to buy fake money. I've never really liked the idea of buying virtual dollars, it seems like a waste to me.

We'll see how it pans out once I enter the world. I already created my avatar (Roland Schuttelanz) and completed the tutorial, but I haven't done anything beyond that.

3 comments:

Kyle said...

Evbo do not start 2nd life, it is NOT a game. It is not fun nor is it even remotely entertaining.

Steph said...

I think your impression will depened almost entirely on what type of mindset you have going into it. Do you want it to be a game? You'll probably be disappointed. There aren't any monsters to kill or enemy camps to capture. However, If you're creatice you can come up with plently of 'games'. Try to get that girl to talk to you. See where you can get a virtual job. What if you could make enough money to buy something nice to wear? I know its not as fun as drangons and demons, but this could actual affect your real life more so than vitual killing.

I completely understand about not wanting to spend your own money. I have to watch my money in this life so I can eat, i don't have time to think about eating in Second Life.

Abdul said...

I think it all depends on how you perceive it. How you look at it. I believe that even in the "real" world, the way we look at things determines the way they look back at us.